Home > Forum > Idle Time Reduced To Zero For Around $1000.

Idle time reduced to zero for around $1000.

Jul 06, 2022 at 04:15 PM CST
My truck burns around 1 gallon on diesel per hour to idle. For the sake of the infamous "oneuppertrucker" let's say your truck is super special like the ones that average 10 miles per gallon and only burn a half gallon per hour. With $5.50 diesel and 10 hours idling 5 days per week, you're spending $27.50 per night. That's $137.50 per week and $550.00 per month to idle. So in less than two months you will have made your money back. Even though all of it is a write off. This is what I did. I bought a Predator 2000 generator from Harbor Freight. It cost $599.00 I only paid $499.00 because they always have some type of deal going on. I gave them my email address to get the $100 off. I also bought 2 locks, (don't buy those) a heavy duty RV generator extension cord, a 5 gallon gas can, and a quart of oil. The generators have absolutely NO OIL in them. So please buy the oil and change it after 30 hours of use for break in period. It holds about half of a quart. Harbor Freight total was $670.01. Then I bought a 5000btu Midea portable AC from Walmart. It was 258.72 out the door. For a grand total of $928.72. The AC lowest setting is 62. I drive at night and sleep during the day in South Texas 100+ during the day and it keeps me nice and cool during the day. It freezes me at night. I usually end up turning it off at night. Because I get too cold. What I'd do differently. I'd buy the bigger generator, the Predator 3500. Why? More usable power. The 2000 only has 1600 watts usable. The 3500 has 3000 watts usable. You want to use a lower percentage of power. Because that means a lower idle and that means better fuel efficiency. The 3500 generator cost $300 more or $899 but on sale now for $799. I'd buy the portable AC that home depot sells. They are Toshiba or LG. I would definitely stay below 10,000 btu. Because it would be overkill. A 10,000 btu is rated for 500 square feet. The one I have works fine but was made in china. So the amps and volts are out of whack. Which makes it use almost 1200 watts when it should only be using 500 watts. So that's why I wouldn't suggest buying it. It works fine though, just uses more power than it should. The home depot AC are $349 or $100 more than what I have. The Predator 2000 generator has about a 1 gallon tank. The website says 12 hours runtime at 25% power. But because my AC is from China and runs at nearly 70% power I get somewhere between 8 and 9 hours runtime. So it cost me between 20 and 30 dollars to cool the truck every week minus the wear and tear on these modern trash engines. That's where the real savings are. I'm been using what I have since March without any issues. Don't forget to get heavy chain so your generator doesn't runaway from home. I just used a load chain that i already had. The AC is the size of a truck refrigerator and has a hose to vent the heat outside. The condensation is stored inside theunit and has to be emptied or you can use the provided hose to run it into a water jug. This is better because you can see it. When the internal tank gets full it will shut the unit off. That's not an issue if you run it into something. Any questions let me know.
Replied on Thu, Jul 07, 2022 at 07:31 AM CST
I bought a generac 2500i from Northern tool. Junk. Same as the craftsmen withsta
Replied on Thu, Jul 07, 2022 at 07:31 AM CST
I bought a generac 2500i from Northern tool. Junk. Same as the craftsmen with same model number. Returned. I then bought a Honda 2000 watt and a GE 3000 but unit. Works great. Nice and cool in here. My paccar smart air sprung a leak. Since obsolete now it is about 15k for a new one. Or 1200 plus 200 for a Honda and window ac. Runs about 6 to 8 hours on 1 tank. Then I let it cool off while I use the window unit plugged into my 2500 watt inverter hooked to my 4 deep cycle batteries for the broken apu.
Replied on Thu, Jul 07, 2022 at 02:51 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "I bought a generac 2500i from Northern tool. Junk. Same as the craftsmen with same model number. Returned. I then bought a Honda 2000 watt and a GE 3000 but unit. Works great. Nice and cool in here. My paccar smart air sprung a leak. Since obsolete now it is about 15k for a new one. Or 1200 plus 200 for a Honda and window ac. Runs about 6 to 8 hours on 1 tank. Then I let it cool off while I use the window unit plugged into my 2500 watt inverter hooked to my 4 deep cycle batteries for the broken apu."

I looked at the Northern tool one. Glad I didn't buy it. I thought it was the same unit as Honda and Predator in different packaging. What do you do with the window unit when you're done?
Replied on Fri, Jul 08, 2022 at 08:14 AM CST
Quote: "I bought a generac 2500i from Northern tool. Junk. Same as the craftsmen with same model number. Returned. I then bought a Honda 2000 watt and a GE 3000 but unit. Works great. Nice and cool in here. My paccar smart air sprung a leak. Since obsolete now it is about 15k for a new one. Or 1200 plus 200 for a Honda and window ac. Runs about 6 to 8 hours on 1 tank. Then I let it cool off while I use the window unit plugged into my 2500 watt inverter hooked to my 4 deep cycle batteries for the broken apu."

Northern tool sells a 6 gallon tank extender for both of our generators. I think it's 150.