Home > Forum > How To Get Started With Pneumatics

How to get started with pneumatics

Oct 09, 2022 at 07:36 PM CST
+ 4
I've hauled dry van reefers since I started my authority. I'm still trying to niche and very interested In hauling pneumatics. But don't have any experience with operating that type of trailer. Any suggestions On how to get started? I know it's not rocket science on how to offload a pneumatics. But im unsure should I just Hope in with no exp and just go off based on YouTube vids on how to operate it.
Replied on Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 09:16 AM CST

It's a niche market that operates mostly off of contracts. Take a look at how many loads are posted here at Bulk Loads and you'll see what I'm talking about. If your willing to 3rd party carrier on someone else's contracts or go beat on doors and get your own go for it. I started in pneumatics leased to a company in the oilfield before I got my authority. It for me has largely been a word of mouth kind of thing making contacts hauling pneumatics off and on for 12 years. Just know these load boards don't have much to offer. I've made some contacts here but never pulled a single load off the board. I also have a flatbed to keep me moving when the bulk tank freight slows.

Replied on Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 11:40 AM CST
Quote: "It's a niche market that operates mostly off of contracts. Take a look at how many loads are posted here at Bulk Loads and you'll see what I'm talking about. If your willing to 3rd party carrier on someone else's contracts or go beat on doors and get your own go for it. I started in pneumatics leased to a company in the oilfield before I got my authority. It for me has largely been a word of mouth kind of thing making contacts hauling pneumatics off and on for 12 years. Just know these load boards don't have much to offer. I've made some contacts here but never pulled a single load off the board. I also have a flatbed to keep me moving when the bulk tank freight slows. "

Yeah I noticed very few pneumatic loads on here and DAT. I figured I'd have to find my own customers. Let me ask you, is there any difficulty offloading a pneumatic. Being that I have no experience with it. I'm a little Hesitant just going straight into it. I've watched vids online on how to work it. If I can get customers beforehand and then get the trailer would it be wise doing this with no Experience. Just going based on vids on YouTube on how to offload.
Replied on Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 02:40 PM CST
Quote: "Yeah I noticed very few pneumatic loads on here and DAT. I figured I'd have to find my own customers. Let me ask you, is there any difficulty offloading a pneumatic. Being that I have no experience with it. I'm a little Hesitant just going straight into it. I've watched vids online on how to work it. If I can get customers beforehand and then get the trailer would it be wise doing this with no Experience. Just going based on vids on YouTube on how to offload."

It's not difficult but there is a learning curve as with most things. Product type and length of blow effects how much you can open the product valves without plugging up etc. Cement and Flyash unloads with Aeration and little line air "30 min". Sand and salt little top air and lots of line air. I've had salt loads take 3 hours if it goes in a pipe up a wall and over a building. You can plug yourself up pretty easy if you don't know what your doing. Remember there's washouts between different products $80 to $300 and these aren't one way trips. You bill by the round trip. Don't let some broker tell you otherwise. Lots of deadhead in pneumatics. Hope I helped.

Replied on Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 03:22 PM CST
Quote: "It's not difficult but there is a learning curve as with most things. Product type and length of blow effects how much you can open the product valves without plugging up etc. Cement and Flyash unloads with Aeration and little line air "30 min". Sand and salt little top air and lots of line air. I've had salt loads take 3 hours if it goes in a pipe up a wall and over a building. You can plug yourself up pretty easy if you don't know what your doing. Remember there's washouts between different products $80 to $300 and these aren't one way trips. You bill by the round trip. Don't let some broker tell you otherwise. Lots of deadhead in pneumatics. Hope I helped. "

Another thing. You need to decide what you're going to haul and what size tank to buy. You'll want a 1300 or possibly bigger to run the road. 1000 cubes are only good for Industrial products like Sand, Salt, Flyash, Pebble Lime.

Replied on Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 03:03 PM CST
Quote: "Another thing. You need to decide what you're going to haul and what size tank to buy. You'll want a 1300 or possibly bigger to run the road. 1000 cubes are only good for Industrial products like Sand, Salt, Flyash, Pebble Lime. "

Interesting, I talked to guys who hauled product from TX to CA for 10-12k one way. Would it be safe to say I could expect 8-9$+ with pneumatics? And in regards to products which pays the most. I'm looking a foodgrade stuff, and mapping out potential Customers on the West Coast. I'm relocating to Phoenix and thinking about getting a job first with a company while doing research on the market And finding customers before I invest in the equipment. My goal is to build a fleet, pneumatics aren't really a common Trailer to see on the road. I want to do something different, it's hard to compete with vans and reefers
Replied on Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 03:11 PM CST
I hope this information helps https://youtu.be/myTpxwX4Zjo
Replied on Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 03:11 PM CST
Make sure you get the right trailer
Replied on Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 01:31 PM CST
Quote: "Interesting, I talked to guys who hauled product from TX to CA for 10-12k one way. Would it be safe to say I could expect 8-9$+ with pneumatics? And in regards to products which pays the most. I'm looking a foodgrade stuff, and mapping out potential Customers on the West Coast. I'm relocating to Phoenix and thinking about getting a job first with a company while doing research on the market And finding customers before I invest in the equipment. My goal is to build a fleet, pneumatics aren't really a common Trailer to see on the road. I want to do something different, it's hard to compete with vans and reefers"

Food grade you’ll need bigger than a 1300. 1600 cube min maybe even bigger. I don’t do food grade do that’s out of my lane.
Replied on Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 07:19 AM CST

Just a different thought. Vac systems on pneumatics are few and far between. Seems to becoming a greater need for trailers to have both Blow and Vac systems.

Replied on Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 07:01 PM CST

I had a new J&L vac/pneumatic for plastic pellets and food grade products like starch, rice, flour ect. To haul the flour and wheat gluten you really need aereators. It is a hard market to crack and I ended up selling the trailer but right after it was gone, i had emails/phone calls requesting it. Give me a call and i will share my experiences and maybe help you some with a few contacts. I still have the truck and am thinking about doing some power only as i have a bunch of fittings/hoses ect. 620-249-5103