Home > Forum > Proposed Legislation To Increase Weight Limits To 88,000 Lbs Nationwide With Rob Brackett

Proposed Legislation To Increase Weight Limits To 88,000 lbs Nationwide With Rob Brackett

Apr 27, 2020 at 08:14 AM CST
+ 8 - 5

Today's show is with Rob Brackett of Turbo Turtle Logistics talking about proposed legislation from 60 Ag Groups to increase truck weight limits universally, across the country to 88,000 in wake of the COVID19 Pandemic shrinking truck capacity. Jared and Rob will talk about the pros and cons of this proposed change.

Click Here to Listen on BulkLoads

Click Here to Listen on Apple Podcasts

Click Here to Listen on Spotify

Replied on Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:03 AM CST
+ 3

88,000, what a joke! rates have already dropped, the idiots want to put more wieght on and I know damn well an increase if any at all wont make it right. The increase benefits the shippers and the brokers that are already screwing everyone.

Replied on Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 12:52 PM CST
Quote: "88,000, what a joke! rates have already dropped, the idiots want to put more wieght on and I know damn well an increase if any at all wont make it right. The increase benefits the shippers and the brokers that are already screwing everyone. "

No doubt! I'm seeing ads pop up looking for "Owner Operators" who want to be "Patriots" and help poor old America in her time of need during the Plandemic.

Replied on Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:34 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
I see everyone's point on the over capacity side of things. This would definitely benefit me, im not a shipper or broker. I think people are having a hard time seeing life outside of their own business. If you want to run with 5 axles, do it, if you have circumstances where 6 are beneficial, do it. Do your own thing that makes you profit...did my best to not sound passive aggressive there
Replied on Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 07:46 AM CST
+ 1

No to increased weights. They are not looking out for truckers. Increased weights on bulk loads means fewer loads that will pay the same rates as the current 80,000 lbs gross. We are now talking about cheap freight at 80,000 lbs forgetting that truckers were making money when the gross was less than 75,000. Our roads are crumbling under the current weights and need to be addressed before any increases.

Replied on Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 10:19 AM CST
In Iowa we are 90,000 on everything except Interstate you must have Plate to cover! Farm we work for we run 7 axle unit we run 96,000 with permit ! All this is more volume for less pay, Just like when they introduce 53’ trailer to replace the 48’ or 45’ rates got cheaper, We in Iowa have more bridges in deficiency than any surrounding States !
Replied on Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 04:34 PM CST
+ 2
If people are hauling more volume with less pay, that's their own ignorance. Why punish me for it.. Here's how I look at it, my customers keep me plenty busy. Hauling a big volume does a few things. Number one, I meet their requirements sooner, which means I'm home more. Number two, it makes me more money, number 3, it makes them more money because they are never waiting on product, which helps keep them making me money. I payed for my privilege to weigh 88k. The 2290, pro rate plate. Overweight permits, highway tax on 17500 gallons of fuel. Thats a lot of money. The roads are shit because the money doesn't get to the damn roads. But people love to blame the competition. How does a 6 axle rig bridge out compared to your 5? I bet I'm putting down less weight per linear foot of road with my 11ft spread tri ax trailer at 44k. Am I wrong? Maybe I am. I'll share my rates. I get 3.10 to 3.95 per loaded mile on my direct work, carrying 57 to 58000pounds of product. How am I negatively affecting your checkbook? My steer weighs 12k ish. Drives 33500ish, which puts between 43 and 44k on the triple. 11 foot spread, 50 ft trailer, 270 wb truck. How am I doing any more road or bridge damage than anybody else? I'm not advocating for being overweight on an axle group or lifting axle group restrictions. I'm advocating for having the right to run my business the way I want to. I pay enough money for that privilege. Point out how I'm harming anyone else's business by doing this and I'll respectfully admit I'm wrong.
Replied on Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 05:36 PM CST

There should be NO increase to weight limits on our nation's roadways. The president has proposed a spending bill to fix our infrastructure and it should be passed. Personally I drove across the I-95 bridge in Greenwich, Connecticut, that callopesed in 1983, 30 minutes before it fell. Talk about something that sent a chill up my spine!

Besides, hauling more for crappy rates does not make for a good business practice.

Replied on Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 07:07 AM CST
Yep I have to agree with Dale on that one.
Replied on Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 07:08 AM CST
I was on the 35w bridge the day it fell to in Minnesota but not my fault. Because I am legal to run heavy and actually base the rate on 80000lbs and weighing 88000 is just extra money over the original rate
Replied on Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 01:44 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Quote: "I was on the 35w bridge the day it fell to in Minnesota but not my fault. Because I am legal to run heavy and actually base the rate on 80000lbs and weighing 88000 is just extra money over the original rate"

That's okay but the brokers are going to try to set the rate to haul 88,000 at 80,000 rates. Many have the mindset of 2 dollars a mile and others think that 1.50 a mile is sufficient. I set my rate at 25 tons which would put me at 78,500 full of fuel. I would rather keep things the way that they are.