Home > Forum > Race To The Bottom. 1994 Teamster Wages $.42 A Mile. + Hourly For Hooking ,Unhooking,Fueling And Waiting. Should Have Stayed In Union.

Race to the bottom. 1994 teamster wages $.42 a mile. + hourly for hooking ,unhooking,fueling and waiting. Should have stayed in union.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:24 AM CST
This continuous race to the bottom with wages and rates and the I can do it cheaper mentality is causing our whole society to go in the poor house. I was a teamster for 3 years. Paid well! Hated the junk we drove. Company I worked for started taking all their profits and moving them into a new ltl company that was non union. Eventually the union company went out of business in the early 2000's. Government from what I know sets inflation annually at 3.5%. If we look at the cost increases in goods and services. This holds true. Except for our industry. We thru greed or our letting ourselves to accumulate to much debt more times then not puts individuals in bad positions.In feeling they have to undesirable wages and freight rates. For me I am tightening my belt. So my math comes up with adjusted inflation of $.78 a mile and $31 an hour. Just some thoughts.
Replied on Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM CST
+ 2
I want to say that is not to far off. If you look at the cost of having a driver, with 1/2 social security paid by employer, unemployment, workman's comp, healt insurance for the driver and various other expenses it costs us in excess of .80 per mile to run the trucks. Our drivers work on percentage and in most weeks they make an average of .55-.60/mile. Some weeks are better, some weeks are worse but that is the way trucking works.

Union or not, drivers need to make a good wage or they will not have an incentive to work.